Find out how to cut costs on your travel, currency and insurance cover
We all want to pay less, without sacrificing our fun in the sun (or snow, or city streets). Find out how to cut costs on your travel, currency and insurance cover.
Your tips for paying for a holiday
Package holiday or DIY flights and hotel – what’s best?
When you book your holiday, you’ve got two main options.
- Buy a package holiday, usually through a tour operator. The package includes flights and accommodation, and sometimes food and drink too if you go all-inclusive.
- Put together a DIY holiday. You choose and pay for your accommodation and flights separately – great if you’re looking for something very specific and you can get in early.
Package holidays tend to be cheaper, especially for more popular destinations, but it’s worth checking both options – you can sometimes get a special deal if you book separately.
With package holidays, if you book through a company with an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL) or one that’s a member of the travel association ABTA, then you get protection if they go bust. It’s worth noting, you don’t get this if you go DIY.
Check if a holiday company is ATOL licensed
Check or find an ABTA registered holiday company
Top tips for getting a good deal
It always pays to shop around – check on the high street and online to save on flights, hotels, travel money and even airport parking.
- For the best savings, book late – you may not get exactly what you want but you are likely to get a cheap holiday.
- If you want a particular destination, book early – prices will go up for in-demand destinations.
- Haggle with high street operators – you might even get them to offer you something cheaper than an online deal.
Cheap travel insurance
As with anything else, with travel insurance it pays to shop around. Don’t buy direct from your travel agent or travel website, unless you’re sure it’s the best deal. (It almost certainly won’t be.)
Find out more about getting the right insurance at the right price:
How to get the best deal on travel insurance
Car insurance when driving abroad
Cheap travel money
Get the right deal on your foreign currency – find low-cost, convenient and safe ways to pay overseas:
Travel money options – cash, traveller’s cheques or cards
This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.