Iconic landmarks and buildings across East of England and the Midlands will be lighting up in blue on the evening of 5 July to say ‘Happy Birthday’ to the NHS and to recognise its special place in our lives.
As well as lighting up landmarks, events are being organised by and for staff, hospital trusts and healthcare organisations to mark the seventieth birthday in style.
East of England, East Midlands and West Midlands landmarks confirmed to turn blue so far include:
East of England
- 12th Street, Milton Keynes
- Cambridge Corn Exchange
- Colchester Castle
- Colchester Hospital
- Colchester United FC
- Hedingham Castle
- Ipswich Hospital (including the Garrett Anderson Centre)
- Ipswich Town Hall (lighting up 5-9 July)
- Milton Keynes Theatre
- Norwich Castle
- Norwich City Hall
- Peterborough Greyhound Stadium (lighting up on 4 July and 6 July)
- St Edmundsbury Cathedral (Bury St Edmunds)
- Watford Town HallEast Midlands
- Chatsworth House
- Nottingham Council House
- De Montfort Hall, Leicester
- Grantham Guildhall
- Leicester Cathedral
- Leicester City Hall
- Leicester Town Hall
- University of Leicester – George Davies Centre
- Lincoln CastleWest Midlands
- Hanley Town Hall
- Regent Theatre in Hanley
- Library of Birmingham
- Old Joe (University of Birmingham)
- Pershore Abbey
- Lady Godiva statue, Coventry
- Telford & Wrekin Council’s Southwater One building
- Walsall FC Banks’s Stadium
- Worcester University Arena
People are encouraged to take photos and share them via social media using the hashtags: #NHS70 and #LightUpBlue.
Tea will be at the centre of many events as NHS organisations, as well as the general public, will be holding ‘NHS Big 7Tea’ celebrations.
The public can help directly by volunteering, supporting their local NHS charity or by giving blood.
NHS England’s Medical Director in Midlands and East, David Levy, said: “It is clear from the support we have had with regards to NHS 70 that everyone is really getting behind all the activities planned in the region.
“The NHS is something to be proud of, for those who work within it and for all of us who benefit from the services provided and I am sure the celebrations taking place will be a reflection of this pride and the affection we all have for this great organisation.
“I hope everyone will join in the celebrations and take photographs of and selfies with the lit up buildings and share using #LightUpBlue.”
If you own/run a building or site and want to join in, please email email@example.com
Six ways to join in the NHS 70 celebrations and support the NHS going forward
- Hold a Big 7 Tea Party: https://www.nhsbig7tea.co.uk/plan-a-party
- Give blood and join the Organ Donor Register to help save lives – call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23
- Volunteer for and support NHS charities
- Take care of yourself and make a pledge to use NHS services wisely
- Work for the NHS
- Get involved in research projects