Fugitive Zahid Khan Jailed After Life of Luxury on the Run


After more than five years on the run, Zahid Khan, a fugitive fraudster, is finally behind bars. Khan fled to Dubai and lived a life of luxury while evading authorities. He was described as having “spat in the face” of Birmingham Crown Court by escaping the UK during his trial in June 2018. Khan attempted to disrupt the trial by posting rants on Facebook directed at the jury. The 38-year-old recently appeared at the same court venue, albeit through a video link from HMP Birmingham, where he confessed to failing to surrender. Khan was brought back to the UK from Turkey in December and is now serving the ten-year sentence he received in absentia in 2018.

Despite his efforts to sway the jury, Zahid Khan was convicted of conspiracy to commit fraud, transferring criminal property, and perverting the course of justice in connection with a £500,000 number plate scam. Khan had gained attention for his audacious act of parking his white Ferrari Spider outside the court in 2017 while appearing at a nearby magistrates’ court

In a Facebook Live interview last year, Zahid Khan declared his intention to “come back to face the music,” asserting that he had left the UK to appeal his convictions outside of prison, as he believed he did not receive a fair trial. During the bail act proceedings initiated against him on Friday, prosecutor Ben Isaacs described Khan as “extremely manipulative.” It was noted that during his 2018 trial, presiding judge Philip Parker had warned Khan not to post any material on Facebook.

On Friday, April 26, Zahid Khan, now 38 years old, appeared via a video link from HMP Birmingham for his sentencing. Khan formally pleaded guilty to the charge of failure to surrender. Prosecutor Ben Isaacs, who had been involved in the 2018 fraud trial, provided background information to Judge Samantha Crabb. Isaacs highlighted Khan’s significant activity during the five and a half years he was on the run. Of particular concern was the text messages Khan posted during a critical period when the jury was deliberating. Isaacs described this behavior as disrespectful to the court, stating, “It was spitting in the face of the court. A very determined attempt to derail the proceedings. Despite his lack of success, there must be consequences for such actions.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here