An Indian restaurant in Lye is being given a hefty fine of £10,800 after failing serious hygiene. 

Dudley Council’s environmental health officers inspected Isha’s restaurant in October 2017.

Owners, Rajori Garden Ltd, and company director, Ram Lal pleaded guilty to five charges each under food safety and hygiene regulations at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court on March 7.

Health inspectors found walls, floors and equipment including food containers and a microwave not in clean or good condition, storing raw chicken in contact with drinks bottles.

The company was fined £10,800 and ordered to pay £1,478 costs and a £170 victim surcharge.

Lal, 50, was fined £720 with £1,478 costs and £72 victim surcharge.

Dudley Council confirmed that the restaurant, in Stourbridge Road , has recently been inspected and is now achieving a broadly complaint hygiene rating of three.

Councillor Gaye Partridge, Dudley’s cabinet member responsible for health and wellbeing, said: “This council works with businesses to secure compliance with the law, we will not hesitate to take legal action against the minority of food businesses proprietors who do not take our advice on board and who fail to meet their legal responsibilities.

“People need to know that the vast majority of food businesses in the borough are well run and compliant with hygiene and safety rules.

“More than half of all food outlets in the borough are achieving the top hygiene rating of five, with the vast majority achieving a satisfactory rating of three or more. I would urge consumers to check out hygiene ratings online as these will give consumers a glimpse of what is going on in the kitchen when they eat out, or behind the scenes at the places they shop.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here