The Local council refutes claims that they “caved in” to the requests of the union.
They have been suspected of “caving in” the demands of the union after in which a deal of peace was set in place for the bin strike in Birmingham.
The Unite union decided to stop strike action after nearly 2 months suspend strike action after almost 2 months subsequently more than 100 dustcart supervisors – who check the security at the rear for each truck – were consented to keep their jobs with pay loss.
Regular bin collections will restart and work to empty the considerable backlog will start. The Unite union reported triumph after the threat of redundancy was rescinded. Assistant general secretary Howard Beckett said: “We are very pleased we have reached the stage where we can suspend the industrial action while we hold further talks about the future of the refuse service.
“I know this news will be greatly welcomed by the people of Birmingham as they look forward to their bins being collected again on a regular and seamless basis.
“I would like to thank them for their understanding over recent weeks.
“Unite will suspend the current round of industrial action that was due to run until September 21 to create a conducive climate for the talks to proceed smoothly.
“Our members will be working normally.”
Mr Beckett said council leader Councillor John Clancy had been vital in acquiring a contract “despite the reservations of some top council officials”.
An informant near to the governing Labour leadership maintained the discussions were “going nowhere” up until he became openly entangled a fortnight ago.
According to ACAS, the city council has decided to hold the supervisor’s jobs, which may be “developed” with additional duties.
Additionally, Unite has acquiesced in opinion to its participants working a five-day week – binmen presently work four long days. However, the city council was blamed by opposition Councillors of placing taxpayers through seven weeks of needless misery.Tory Councillor Robert Alden said: “So the council has just caved in.
“This could have been done seven weeks ago and saved the people of this city a lot of hardship and disruption.
“And what impact will t have on a service which was overspending by £1 million a month last year.
“If the council and the union had got their act together and brought in ACAS sooner this could have all been solved.”
Liberal Democrat Councillor Jon Hunt added: “It is welcome that the strike is suspended and that ACAS will continue to be involved.
“But this agreement shows every sign of being an abject climbdown by John Clancy.
“It means the last seven weeks of chaos on the streets have been utterly pointless.
“It was pretty clear from the start that the present leadership did not have the guts or any serious plan to sort out this longstanding issue.
“If they were never going to see it through why did they not involve ACAS and Unite at the outset?”
Nevertheless Labour representatives rebuffed statements of a cave-in, pointing out that important parts of the initially-planned shake-up, for example stopping overtime and swapping the agency workforce with permanent staff, had all been attained.
The local council has indicated that the agreement is temporary pending that it is accepted by the cabinet at a special meeting to be arranged next week.
A council spokesperson said: “The Acas statement in connection with the Waste and Refuse dispute does not represent the council’s position until these matters are considered at the council’s Special Cabinet Meeting on 24th August 2017 . The decision on the waste reorganisation taken by Cabinet on 27th June is still the current position of the council.”