In line with West Midlands Police ‘positive action’ programme, the role of Police Constable has opened to BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) applicants.
So what is ‘positive action’? West Midlands Police have a strong commitment to equality and diversity and aim to produce a fully inclusive workforce that reflects the community it serves. To achieve this they encourage applications from under-represented groups through their policy of ‘positive action’.
The selection procedure however is still based on merit as ‘positive action’ does not aim to remove competition, West Midlands Police will take the best applications.
Who does ‘positive action’ apply to? Initiatives can be used whenever an under-represented group is identified. Legislation enables ‘positive action’ to work around issues of disability, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.
A series of Discovery Days will be held across West Midlands to help source recruits and raise awareness of the role of a police officer. It is also to encourage applications from under-represented groups, in particular:
- Young people – reflecting the need to address the age profile of the organisation, which is increasing as a result of no recruitment for more than three years.
- BME communities – reflecting the need to address the community profile of the organisation
Key Messages-BME recruitment:
· West Midlands Police will be opening up recruitment for the role of police constable on Monday 23rd March 2015.
· Policing is a rewarding and fulfilling career with lots of diverse career opportunities
· Constable salary between £22,443 and £37,254
· Excellent police pension
· West Midlands Police are keen to ensure the force is better represented by our diverse community and want to encourage black and
ethnic minorities to apply.
· West Midlands Police will be delivering presentations in the next weeks to provide clarity on the process and support BME applicants.
Upcoming Discovery Days will be at the following venues:
· 21st March: Birmingham City University, Perry Barr
· 22nd March: Tally Ho Police Training Centre, Edgbaston
If you are considering a career as a police officer or wish to attend a Discovery Day then register your interest on the West Midlands Police website.jobs.west-midlands.police.uk/pc-recruitment