Couple jailed for fire attack on love rival


Nausheen Quraishi and Dilwar Hussain left victim with ‘life changing’ injuries

A WOMAN who was seeing two men at the same time has been jailed for helping one set alight to the other.

Nausheen Quraishi, 29, gave vital details to Dilwar Hussain, 33 which helped him track down and attack victim Furqan Iqbal, 23, in June 2008.

Mr Iqbal, who was 20 at the time of the attack, suffered horrendous burns after Hussain poured petrol over him and set him alight.

Quraishi, from Wanstead, and Hussain from Ilford, were finally brought to justice after police re-opened the case two years after the attack.

Hussain was sentenced to 25 years for attempted murder and 15 years for conspiracy to cause GBH with intent, while Quraishi was jailed for 15 years for conspiracy to cause GBH with intent.

St Albans Crown court heard Quraishi was in a long-term relationship with the victim Mr Iqbal, who was 20 at the time of the attack, but had recently also started seeing Hussain.

On the morning of Thursday 12 June 2008, Hussain was waiting for the victim – who Hussain saw as a “love rival” – as he arrived home from work in Forest Gate.

Hussain approached Mr Iqbal for a cigarette. As Mr Iqbal passed a cigarette and lighter through the window, Hussain threw petrol over him and ignited it. Mr Iqbal was engulfed in flames.

His screams alerted a neighbour who managed to put out the fire. But the attack left Mr Iqbal with 65 per cent burns and life changing injuries.

The initial police investigation didn’t result in charges or a conviction but two years on the case was re-investigated and further lines of enquiry came to light.

Hundreds of hours of CCTV recordings and thousands of phone calls made by the suspects and their associates ultimately revealed that Quraishi had been in a relationship with Hussain.

Quraishi provided all the intelligence of victim’s movements for Hussain so he could carry out the crime.

He then drove to the victim’s address and waited for nearly an hour for him to return from work before he carried out the attack.

Afterwards Quraishi played the role of the “distraught girlfriend” and set about laying a false trail for police to follow.

Eleven days after the attack Hussain left the country for Bangladesh to and returned when police activity had subsided.

Judge Andrew Bright commended the team of detectives, Detective Sergeant Lee Stamp and Detective Constables Richard Chambers, David Harris and Tim Hemmings, for their outstanding work into the serious incident that had remained unsolved for more than two years.

Acting Detective Superintendent Richard Tucker said: “The sentences handed out reflect the seriousness of this offence. The team worked tirelessly to bring these two suspects, who thought they had got away with committing such a horrific assault, to justice.

“As their supervisor I am incredibly proud of these officers.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here