‘Not in public interest to prosecute’, say Crown Prosecution service
A BIRMINGHAM schoolgirl who burnt a copy of the Quran and posted the video on social networking site Facebook will not be prosecuted.
The West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service said it had also decided to take no action against a 14-year-old boy who made threats about the girl on a social networking site.
In a statement, the CPS said there was sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction against each teenager, but prosecutions would not be in the public interest.
The girl, who has not been named but is known to attend a school in the Sandwell area of the West Midlands, was arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred on November 19 after posting footage of the incident on Facebook.
The boy was detained four days later on suspicion of making threats on the social networking site.
In its statement, the CPS said: “The reviewing lawyer decided there was sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in each case, but considered whether the public interest required a prosecution, or whether a final warning as an alternative to prosecution would be appropriate as both were of previous good character.
“After considering representations from the police and community groups that the case could be resolved appropriately between the parties without need for a prosecution, and that both teenagers had agreed to co-operate, it was felt it was not in the public interest to prosecute.”
Speaking last week, Councillor Bob Badham, Sandwell Council’s Cabinet Member for Children and Families, said the authority had been working hard with the school, police, and the community to maintain harmony following the incident.
“All involved have reacted very positively,” Mr Badham said.