Tumble Dryer Inferno

Fire chiefs have called for an urgent recollection of faulty tumble dryers, due to new figures showing that they cause three fires a day.

0
2155

According to authorities, manufacturers are “playing Russian Roulette” with thousands of lives as companies evade recollecting the “dangerous” appliances.

In February Mishell Moloney, from Frankley, died in a house fire that was allegedly initiated by a faulty tumble dryer.

Mishell Moloney
Mishell Moloney

Paramedics attempted to recover the 49-year-old mum-of-two but she died at the scene in Coriander Close.

Presently, the Local Government Association, which signifies 48 fires and rescue bodies in England and Wales, is calling for recollection on faulty machines.

It cautions that instead of recalling them, companies running lengthy repair programmes for potentially hazardous machines were “risking the lives of millions of customers”.

Manufacturers Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda are in the procedure of repairing dryers across the UK since parent company Whirlpool informed customers of the widespread safety flaw last October.

The liability can lead to excess fluff gathering in the heating component in the machine and potentially instigating a fire.

The LGA said: “Homes have been ruined and, in some cases, the machines have burst into flames as people loaded them with clothes.”

Jeremy Hilton, Chairman of the LGA’s Fire Services Management Committee, said: “People using faulty tumble dryers are unwittingly playing Russian roulette.

“Leading manufacturers need to recall affected models as soon as possible to protect their customers.

“Firefighters are attending tumble dryer fires three times a day, which is alarming.

“These defective products are endangering lives, causing thousands of pounds of damage to homes and making people homeless.

“People’s safety must be the priority.

“It’s been months since some manufacturers issued safety warnings over their tumble dryers but they need to be recalled as these appliances are still causing fires.

“Until they do so, consumers continue to risk falling victim to a devastating and tragic house fire.”

The LGA insisted that owners should clean out the section where fabric fibres build up after every drying load to decrease the risk of it exploding.

They added that the vent or any other opening shouldn’t be covered.

It also advised that the machines should under no circumstances be left on overnight, or while no-one was at home.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here