The New Year Honours List for 2022 recognising men and women from all walks of life including Covid medical heroes, sports stars, and TV/movie celebrities.
The New Year Honours List 2022 has 15.1% of recipients coming from an ethnic minority background, making it for the fourth time running, the most ethnically diverse honours list to date.
Sara Khan Human rights campaigner and counter-terrorism commissioner, actor Nitin Ganatra and Alpesh Chauhan – Music Director, Birmingham Opera Company are a few British Asians who have been recognised.
British Asians who have been recognised in the New Year’s Honours List 2022 include:
Dames Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE)
- Sara Khan – Lately Lead Commissioner, Commission for Countering Extremism. For services to Human Rights and Counter Extremism.
Knights Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE)
- The Right Honourable Professor Ajay Kumar Lord Kakkar – For services to Healthcare and Public Service.
- Professor Shakeel Ahmed Qureshi – Professor of Paediatric Cardiology, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals Foundation Trust. For services to Paediatric Cardiology and Charity.
Commanders of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Tanweer Ikram – Deputy Senior District Judge, Magistrates’ Court. For services to Judicial Diversity.
- Shalini Khemka – For services to Entrepreneurship and to the Economy.
- Professor Ravi Prakash Mahajan – Lately President, Royal College of Anaesthetists. For services to Anaesthesia.
- Professor Iqbal Singh OBE – Chair, Centre of Excellence in Safety for Older People. For services to Equality and Inclusion in Healthcare.
- Professor Kamlesh Khunti – Professor of Primary Care Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, University of Leicester and General Practitioner. For services to Health.
Officers of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Syed Viqar Ahmed – Founder and Chair, Community Energy London. For services to Community Energy, Decarbonisation and Community Benefit in London.
- Dr Syed Ahmed – Clinical Director, Health Protection Scotland. For services to the Covid-19 Vaccination Programme.
- Amir Ali – Lately Chair, Civil Court Users Association. For services to Court Users and the Law.
- Mohammed Asif Aziz – Director, Healthcare Services, Boots UK Ltd. For services to Pharmacy, especially Testing for Covid-19.
- Dr Hindpal Singh Bhui – Inspection Team Leader, HM Inspectorate of Prisons. For services to Custody Facilities during Covid-19.
- Alpesh Chauhan – Music Director, Birmingham Opera Company. For services to the Arts.
- Dr Japinder Dhesi – Lately Team Leader, Cabinet Office. For Public Service.
- Davinder Singh Dhillon – Chair, The Chattri Memorial Group. For services to the Commemoration of Indian Forces’ Contribution in the First World War.
- Mohammed Shabir Fazal – Headteacher, Eden Boys’ Leadership Academy. For services to Education.
- Sajdah Perveen Ghafoor – For services to Cultural Awareness and Integration in Cumbria.
- Jagtar Singh Gill – For services to the British Sikh and Interfaith Communities.
- Professor Ali Sadiq Mohammad Jawad – Professor of Rheumatology, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Consultant Rheumatologist. For services to Healthcare.
- Sharath Kumar Jeevan – Lately Chief Executive Officer, STiR Education. For services to Education.
- Hanif Mohamed Kara – Design Director and Co-Founder, AKT II and Professor in Practice of Architectural Technology, Harvard Graduate School of Design. For services to Architecture, to Engineering and to Education.
- Amritpal Singh Maan – Philanthropist. For services to the Sikh Community and to Charity.
- Professor Mahendra Gulabbhai Patel – Pharmacist. For services to Pharmacy.
- Rizwan Patel – Founder, Lint Group. For services to the Disadvantaged Communities in the UK and Abroad, particularly during Covid-19
- Arti Prashar – Artist, Director and Consultant. For charitable services to People Living with Dementia.
- Imran Faisal Shafi – For Public Service.
- Rohini Sharma Joshi – Lately Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, Trust Housing Association. For services to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Dr Malur Sudhanva – Consultant Virologist, South London Specialist Virology Centre, King’s College Hospital. For services to Healthcare Science particularly during Covid-19.
- Rekha Thawrani – Global Head, NEC Contracts, Thomas Telford Ltd. For services to Infrastructure and British Exports.
- Sanjiv Vedi – Assistant Director, Head, Office of the Chief Social Care Officer for Wales. For Public, Charitable and Voluntary Service.
- Nitin Ganatra – Actor. For services to Drama.
Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
- Zulkifl Ahmed – Lately Special Educational Needs and Disability Group Manager, Worcestershire County Council. For services to Education and to Young People.
- Dr Seema Safia Arif – For services to Health Care amongst the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Community.
- Syima Aslam – Founder, Chief Executive Officer and Artistic Director, Bradford Literature Festival. For services to Literature.
- Dr Subramaniam Balachandran – Doctor and Lead, Cross Infection, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. For services to the NHS during Covid-19.
- Sushma Bhanot – For services to wellbeing and the community in Chigwell, Essex, particularly during Covid-19.
- Ayaz Mazeed Bhuta – For services to Wheelchair Rugby.
- Sofia Buncy – Founder, Muslim Women in Prison Project. For services to Prisoners and the community in Bradford, West Yorkshire.
- Arjmund Jabeen Butt – For services to HM Revenue and Customs and the BAME Community.
- Anita Choudhrie – Founder, Path to Success. For services to Disability Sports.
- Dr Baljinder Singh Dhanda – Co-Chair, UK Cyber Security Council Formation Project. For services to Cyber Security.
- Narinderjit Dhandwar – Business Relationship Manager, Barclays. For services to the Business and Financial Sectors in the West Midlands during Covid-19.
- Tara Chand Garlo – Paralegal Assistant, Crown Prosecution Service. For Public Service.
- Karime Hassan – Chief Executive and Growth Director, Exeter City Council. For services to Local Government.
- Rashid Tahir Iqbal – Chief Executive Officer, The Winch. For services to Young People.
- Professor Nazira Karodia – Lately Professor of Science Education, University of Wolverhampton. For services to the Chemical Sciences.
- Mumtaz Khan – For services to tackling Food Poverty in the UK and Abroad.
Qamar Mahmood Khan – Chair of Trustees, Hamro Foundation. For services to Cricket and to Charity.
- Kaneez Khan – Coordinator, Near Neighbours, West Yorkshire. For services to Interfaith Relations, particularly during Covid-19.
- Bibi Rabbiyah Khan – President, London Islamic Cultural Society. For services to Local Government and Community Cohesion.
- Pravesh Kumar – For services to Theatre.
- Hardip Parkesh Singh Lawana – Senior Officer, Border Force, Home Office. For services to Border Security and to Workplace Wellbeing.
- Sanjay Lobo – Chief Executive Officer and Founder, OnHand. For services to Older People, particularly during Covid-19.
- Munir Faizal Mamajee – Managing Director, m2r Education. For services to Education and Exports.
- Kamini Harshadbhai Mehta – Chair, KPMG UK. For services to Trade and Investments in the UK and Female Entrepreneurs.
- Sobia Iqbal Nawaz – Customer Service Manager, Santander. For services to the Financial Sector and to the community in the London Borough of Hounslow during Covid-19.
- Simon Naresh Nayyar – For Political Service.
- Sayyed Osman – Strategic Director of Adults and Health, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council. For services to the community in East Lancashire.
- Dr Sheila Pearson – Education, Outreach and Diversity Manager, Royal Astronomical Society. For services to Astronomy and to Diversity in Physics.
- Irna Mumtaz Qureshi – Co-Founder, Bradford Literature Festival. For services to Heritage.
- Avin Rabheru – Founder, Housekeep. For services to Entrepreneurship, and to Digital Innovation in the Cleaning Industry.
- Virinder Kuljit Kaur Rai – Business Manager, Against Violence and Abuse Charity. For services to the Charity Sector and to the communities in the London Borough of Redbridge and Derbyshire.
- Dr Amar Nath Rughani – General Practitioner and Provost, Royal College of General Practitioners, South Yorkshire and North Trent. For services to General Practice.
- Mandip Kaur Sahota – Founder, Strategies and Stories. For Charitable and Public Service.
- Dr Iram Sattar – General Practitioner and Trustee, Muslim Women’s Network UK and The Passage. For services to the Health and Wellbeing of Vulnerable People.
- Charan Kanwal Singh Sekhon – Senior Environment Officer, Environment Agency and Founder Chairman, SEVA Trust UK. For services to Charity, Diversity and the Environment, particularly during Covid-19.
- Mohammad Sehreen Seleem – For services to Disadvantaged Communities in East London.
- Mitesh Puspakkant Sheth – Chief Executive Officer, Redington. For services to Diversity and Inclusion in the Financial Services Sector.
- Mamta Rani Singhal – Volunteer, Institution of Engineering and Technology. For services to Engineering.
- Bharatkumar Jagatsingh Sisodia – For services to the Culture, to Heritage and to the community in Greater Manchester.
- Dr Bnar Talabani – Kidney and Transplant Medical Specialist, University of Wales and Immunology Scientist. For services to the NHS and to the Ethnic Minority Communities in Wales, particularly during Covid-19.
- Mandy Taylor – For charitable services in Yorkshire.
- Saleem Uddin – Category Director, Crown Commercial Service, Cabinet Office. For Public and Charitable Services.
- Abeda Suleman Vorajee – For services to Community Integration and Interfaith Understanding in Warwickshire.
- Professor Nalin Chandra Wickramasinghe – For services to Science, Astronomy and Astrobiology.
Medallists of the Order of the British Empire
- Mohammed Zoinul Abidin – Head of Universal Services, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. For services to Public Libraries.
- Nadia Nasreen Ahmed – Lately Community Champion, Morrisons. For services to the community in Edinburgh.
- Siraj Ali – For services to the community in Coventry, West Midlands particularly during Covid-19.
- Muhammad Kamil Ali – Volunteer Tutor, BPCD Trust, Luton. For services to Education.
- Mohmed Siddik Habiba Alli – Volunteer, Redbridge Covid-19 Mutual Aid. For services to the community in the London Borough of Redbridge during Covid-19.
- Hardip Singh Atwal – For charitable service in Annan, Dumfries and Galloway.
- Sulakhan Singh Dard – Ambassador, British Heart Foundation. For services to Healthcare in the Sikh Community.
- Rabinder Singh Dhami – Prevention Manager, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service. For services to Fire and Rescue.
- Adill Hadi – Senior Youth Worker, Concord Youth Centre, Yardley, Birmingham. For services to Vulnerable Young People during Covid-19.
- Meena Hanspal – Charity Volunteer, Guru Nanak’s Mission and Vegetarian Rasoi. For services to the Sikh community in Nottingham.
- Akthar Hussain – Systems Engineer, Network Rail. For services to Diversity and Inclusion.
- Mohammed Jakir Ahmed Jabbar – Customer Services Front Line Manager, HM Revenue and Customs. For services to HMRC and to Diversity and Inclusion.
- Hamaad Ali Karim – Student Mentor. For voluntary service to Students and the Wider Community during Covid-19.
- Jahangir Khan – For services to the community in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, particularly during Covid-19.
- Ranjeet Khare – For services to the community in Woodford, London Borough of Redbridge during Covid-19.
- Rajesh Makwana – Director, Sufra NW London. For services to the community in the London Borough of Brent, particularly during Covid-19 in 2022.
- Mukesh Malhotra – For services to the community in the London Borough of Hounslow, particularly during Covid-19.
- Mohammed Afruz Miah – For services to Charitable Fundraising and to the community in Oldham during Covid-19.
- Saira Begum Mir – For services to the community in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, particularly during Covid-19.
- Gita Natarajan – For services to the community in Rugby, Warwickshire.
- Vinodkumar Mashri Jeram Pankhania – For services to the community in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.
- Ragini Patel – For services to the community in Northolt, London Borough of Ealing, particularly during Covid-19.
- Pervez Sazzad Qureshi – For services to the Muslim Community in Greater London, particularly during Covid-19.
- Atikur Rahman – For services to the community in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, particularly during Covid-19.
- Bansari Nilesh Ruparelia – For services to the Hindu Community in Leicestershire.
- Khadijah Safari – Chief Executive Officer, Safari MMA. For services to Inclusion and Diversity in Martial Arts.
- Omair Ali Shah – For services to the community in Barking and Dagenham, Greater London during Covid-19.
- Irfan Hussain Shah – For services to Young People and the community in the London Borough of Redbridge, particularly during Covid-19.
- Sabir Mahmood Shaikh – For services to the Muslim Community in Palmers Green, London Borough of Enfield, particularly during Covid-19.
- Savraj Kaur Singh – For services to the community in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, particularly during Covid-19.
- Gulam Muhammad Ismail Teladia – Vice-Chair, Birmingham Muslim Burial Council. For services to the community in Birmingham, particularly during Covid-19.
- Sahil Usman – For services to the community in Blackburn, Lancashire during Covid-19 in 2022.
- Sajeev Vilvarajah – For services to the community in Clayhall, London Borough of Redbridge during Covid-19.
These prestigious titles are awarded to recognise people who have committed themselves to serve and helping Britain in their particular fields of work and services.