A young dad has died after a freak cinema accident where his head became wedged in an electric chair.

The incident took place at Vue Cinema at Star City on Friday 9 March, Ateeq Rafiq, 24, dropped his phone in between the Gold Class seats at the end of the movie.

When he bent down to retrieve it, the electric seat’s footrest is said to have clamped down on his head.

Vue Cinema confirmed he had sadly died.

A spokesman for Vue said: “Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.

“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.

“A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing.

“Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

A family member told The Sun Online that they have been “devastated” by the 24-year-old’s tragic death.

She said: “It is so sad what has happened.

“He was with his wife at the time who is just in absolute shock.

“We are all devastated.”

Another friend added: “said: “He was so young and had his whole life ahead of him.

“His family have lost a son, a father, a brother and a husband.

“He left behind a lovely daughter who is only two years old.

“He was a lovely, humble, down to earth guy who was always smiling, he literally had everything to live for.

“We are all devastated to have lost him so early and are in shock.

“We cannot believe it.”

Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council said: “The City Council’s Environmental Health team were notified of this incident and a Health and Safety investigation has begun.

“We are unable to comment further at this stage, as the investigation is ongoing.”

The young victim was said to be stuck as his frantic partner and staff battled to release him in the incident.

The chair’s foot-rest was eventually broken free and he was released.

A source had said: “The Gold Class seats are electric reclining seats. He bent down to look for his phone. At this point the leg-rest was in an upright position.

“But as he stuck his head underneath to have a look, the footrest clamped down onto his head.

“The ambulance had already been called and was at the scene at this time, and took him to hospital.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here