The Queen has had an extra busy past few weeks, given Brexit, a snap election and the delayed Queen’s Speech. Amidst all that though, the royalty still managed to find to compile perhaps the most prestigious list one could hope to be on: The Queen’s Honours.
A total of 1,109 people were named on the Honours list, 438 awarded an MBE, 221 an OBE and 303 a BEM.
We bring you a list of the Asians who were named and knighted in the list.
- Professor Mir Saeed Zahedi, OBE. Technical director, Chas A Blatchford & Sons. For services to Engineering and Innovation. (London)
- Professor Alimuddin Zumla. Professor of Infectious Diseases and International Health University College London. For services to Public Health and Protection from Infectious Disease. (London)
ROYAL VICTORIAN ORDER
- Paul Chandrasekharan Sabapathy, CBE. Formerly Lord-Lieutenant of the West Midlands.
ROYAL VICTORIAN MEDAL
- Professor Parveen June Kumar, CBE. Professor of Medicine and Education, Bart,s and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary, University of London. For services to Medicine and Medical Education.
- Professor Haro Moushegh Bedelian, OBE. For services to Engineering and International Trade. (Tadworth, Surrey)
- Professor Aisha Kulwant Gill. Professor of Criminology University of Roehampton. For services to Tackling Forced Marriage, Honour Crimes and Violence against Women.
- Mrs Ani Magill. Executive Headteacher, St. John the Baptist Catholic Comprehensive School, Woking. For services to Education.
- Professor Shamit Saggar. Associate Pro-vice Chancellor and Professor of Political Science and Public Policy University of Essex. For services to Social Science and Public Policy. (London)
- Sultan Ahmed Choudhury. Chief executive Officer Al Rayan Bank. For services to the UK Market for Islamic Finance. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Dr Mehtabunisa Currey. For services to Global International Development. (Headington, Oxfordshire)
- Sital Singh Dhillon. Head of Law and Criminology Sheffield Hallam University. For services to Higher Education. (Loughborough, Leicestershire)
- Asif Abdul Haseeb. For services to Racial Equality Health and Education in Scotland and Pakistan. (Giffnock, Renfrewshire)
- Dr Kamaljit Kaur Hothi. Head of Colleague Volunteering and Group Fundraising Lloyds Banking Group. For services to Diversity in the Banking Sector.
- Arvind Michael Kapur, DL. Chairman, National Space Centre and Founder and director, Signum Corporate Communications Ltd. For services to Science, Technology, Business and Enterprise. (Oadby, Leicestershire)
- Chandrakant Kataria. Group chief executive East Midlands Housing Group. For services to Housing in the East Midlands. (Loughborough, Leicestershire)
- Idris Khan. For services to Art. (London)
- Dr Nikesh Kotecha. Chief executive Officer Morningside Pharmaceuticals. For services to Entrepreneurship, Innovation in Pharmaceutical Services and Philanthropy. (Rothley, Leicestershire)
- Dr Ramesh Dulichandbhai Mehta. President British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. For services to the NHS. (Renhold, Bedfordshire)
- Harinder Singh Pattar. Headteacher The Heathland School, London. For services to Education. (Hitchin, Hertfordshire)
- Mohammad Shahed Quraishi. Consultant Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon and director ENT Masterclass, Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals. For services to the NHS and Medical Education. (Ravenshead, Nottinghamshire)
- Nardeep Sharma. Chief executive Officer The Thrive Partnership Academy Trust, Executive Principal, Colne Community College and Philip Morant School and College, Essex. For services to Education. (Coventry, West Midlands)
- Rakesh Sharma. Chief executive Ultra Electronics. For services to Defence Capability. (Hunningham, Warwickshire)
- Professor Mahendra Pratap Singh Varma. For services to Cardiology in Northern Ireland. (Bellanaleck, Fermanagh)
- Sandeep Singh Virdee. Founder and director Darbar Arts Culture and Heritage Trust. For services to the Promotion of Indian Musical Heritage in the UK. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Mrs Saeeda Ali. Higher Executive Officer, Ministry of Defence. For services to Defence. (London)
- Mohammad Ashfaq. Founder and managing director Kikit Pathways to Recovery, Birmingham. For services to Vulnerable People. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Ms Samera Jabeen Ashraf. For services to Sport and Diversity. (Edinburgh)
- Mrs Shazia Azhar. Member, Diverse Leaders Network. For services to Education. (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire)
- Ms Aqila Choudhry. For public and political service. (Leeds, West Yorkshire)
- Dr Pushpinder Chowdhry. For services to the Asian community in the UK. (London)
- Mrs Vilasgauri Ratilal Dhanani. For voluntary and charitable services. (London)
- Ms Sahana Gero. For services to Music and the community in South London. (London)
- Capt (retired) Gaubahadur Gurung. Executive Officer Ministry of Defence. For services in Support of Service Personnel. (Saffron Walden, Essex)
- Mrs Razia Ismail. Chair and Founder, Aaghee. For services to Women in the Asian community in Birmingham. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Mohamed Amin Issa. Senior Lecturer Ministry of Defence. For services to the Defence Centre for Languages and Culture. (High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire)
- Abdul Jabbar. For political and public service. (Oldham, Greater Manchester)
- Surinder Singh Jandu. For services to Community Cohesion. (London)
- Dr Nikita Kanani. General Practitioner and chief Clinical Officer NHS Bexley Clinical Commissioning Group. For services to Primary Care. (London)
- Dr Serbjit Kaur. Dentist Leicestershire. For services to Dentistry. (Leicester, Leicestershire)
- Asif Amir Khan. For services to Architecture. (London)
- Dr Shah Noor Khan. For services to the Muslim community and Community Cohesion. (Leeds, West Yorkshire)
- Vikas Kumar. For services to the Arts and Culture. (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear)
- Mohammad Ajman (Tommy) Miah. Chef and Restauranteur. For services to the Hospitality Industry and charity. (Edinburgh)
- Majid Mukadam. Transplant Surgeon Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. For services to Transplantation Patients. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Pritpal Singh Nagi, DL. For services to Business and charity in Staffordshire. (Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire)
- Ms Pranee Nou. For services to Humanitarian Aid and International Development. (Gravesend, Kent)
- Nitin Palan. For services to Interfaith Relations. (London)
- Miss Anjna Morarji Patel. Principal Officer Road Safety and Parking, Sandwell Council. For services to the Parking Profession. (Perton, Staffordshire)
- Mrs Sazeda Patel. For services to the community in Blackburn. (Blackburn, Lancashire)
- Dr Bharti Rajput. Director Sole Body Soul. For services to Podiatry and the Economy in Dundee. (Dundee)
- Dr Khalid Rashed. Consultant in Stroke Services Yeovil Hospital. For services to Stroke Care in Somerset. (Tintinhull, Somerset)
- Asif Sadiq. For services to Policing and the community in London. (London)
- Tejinder Kumar Sharma. For services to Hindi Literature and to Community Cohesion in London. (London)
- Dr Shobba Srivastava. For voluntary service to Community Cohesion in North East England. (South Shields, Tyne and Wear)
- Vernon Chandrasiri Udugampola. For services to Humanitarian Aid particularly in Sri Lanka and the UK. (London)
- Tariq Zamir Usmani. Founding Chair Better Community Business Network. For services to Community Cohesion. (Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire)
- Deepak Verma. For services to the Arts. (London)
BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL
- Mrs Bula Chakravarty-Agbo. For services to the Arts within the community in South London. (London)
- Ajaz Ahmed. Mentor Mosaic Network and Council Member / Advisory Board Member, Huddersfield University. For services to Young People. (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire)
- Mrs Noor Jahan Ali. Senior Buying manager, World Foods, Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc. For services to Diversity in the Retail Industry. (Leeds, West Yorkshire)
- Suraj Bhan Khandelwal. Chairman and managing director S&A Drapers Ltd and Secure Deposit Ltd. For services to Business and the community in Leicester. (Birstall, Leicestershire)
- Mohammed Tauqeer Malik. Councillor Aberdeen City Council. For services to the community in Aberdeen. (Aberdeen)
- Mrs Iffet Anwar Mian. Founding Member, All Pakistan Women’s Association Birmingham Branch. For charitable and community service. (Birmingham, West Midlands)
- Dr Sohail Munshi. General Practitioner Five Oaks Family Practice, North Manchester. For services to Primary Care. (Greater Manchester)
- Mohinder Singh Sangha. Member Board of Jathadars, Sikh Council. For services to the community in Leicester. (Rushey Mead, Leicestershire)
- Kandiah Sivayogaiswaran. For services to the Midlands Tamil Cultural Association and to Young People in Birmingham. (Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands)
DIPLOMATIC SERVICE AND OVERSEAS LIST
ORDER OF ST MICHAEL AND ST GEORGE
- Asif Anwar Ahmad. HM Ambassador Manila, Philippines. For services to British interests in South East Asia.
ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE
- Dr Jaswindar Singh Wouhra. Chair Institute of Directors, West Midlands, and director and Company secretary, East End Foods plc. For services to business and international trade.
BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL
- Mrs Helen Rupa. For services to State Owned enterprises.
- Ashwant Kumar Dwivedi. For services to community development.
MILITARY DIVISION – ARMY
- Col Khashayar Dominic Sharifi.
- Maj Prembahadur Gurung. The Royal Gurkha Rifles