Ibrahim Grill and Steak House on Warwick Road, Acocks Green has been fined £50,000 for continuously using unhygienic wooden plates to serve food.
The restaurant was first visited by Environmental Health officers in October 2016 after an alleged food poisoning outbreak had affected a group of 14 people.
Birmingham City Council said there were concerns about the use of wooden plates, that were incapable of being cleaned and used to serve food.
Despite receiving improvement notices, the restaurant has continued to use the boards which could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.
The boards were in such damaged conditions they could no longer be effectively cleaned and disinfected.
The Environmental officers returned in December 2016 and found that food handling had improved but the serving boards were still being used.
The business has entered a guilty plea at Birmingham Magistrates Court after failing to comply with the hygiene improvement notice in relation to the wooden boards.